Posted on behalf of Northeast Paving Company
For over 100 years, the professional men and women of Northeast Paving have literally paved the way for hundreds of public and private projects that have shaped the landscape of Maine. From large interstate highways to small commercial site development, Northeast Paving employees perform with pride and creativity. We approach every project with a dedication to efficiency, technology and, most of all, safety. Northeast Paving is proud to be a part of this area's history and development, and a partner in Maine’s future.
A Quality Control Technician is an hourly-rated skilled craft position that performs on construction projects any combination of the duties described more fully, below. A Quality Control Technician typically performs a wide variety of tasks, transferring from one task to another as the work flow dictates.
- This position is responsible for controlling the quality of the production of hot mix asphalt through inspection of the plant, production materials, and jobsite review as well as conducting routine and special laboratory testing to ensure conformance standards
- Proficiently and accurately sample and conduct visual inspection and laboratory testing of construction materials according to the appropriate standard test methods to insure quality control of products at the point of production, shipping and arrival on the jobsite
- Test methods include but not limited to DOT regulations.
- Communicate and document test results to plant operator, supervisor and operations
- Review mix designs and product to job specifications of upcoming projects
- Perform jobsite inspection, customer service and troubleshooting as needed
- Prepare various QC reports and formulating specific recommendations to resolve or correct quality issues
- Visually inspecting stockpiles, materials sources, plant and truck loads at plant sites
- Conduct testing and assisting in plant inspection and calibration to insure the proper quality of the product
- Verify outside construction materials testing laboratory results and maintain accurate, timely records of test data, product quality, and defective materials
- Prepare statistical summary quality reports on company product lines
- Serve as a technical resource to operations, sales and customers
- Keep informed of professional and technical developments of new specifications to maintain and improve operational efficiencies by attending relevant technical meetings
- Possess and demonstrate a strong working knowledge of asphalt and plant operations
- Perform various tests in an orderly, efficient, and accurate manner
- Complete understanding of mix design characteristics for asphalt products and various product specifications
- Strong math and average computer skills are required
- Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills and have the ability to interact with individuals at any level of the organization (i.e. plant production personnel, plant managers, contractors, and agency representatives)
- Ability to problem-solve and work independently
- Prepare various QC reports and formulate specific recommendations to resolve or correct quality issues; and work with outside venders, agencies, and customers on a variety of quality related issues
- Perform incidental work items and duties included within other crafts
- General. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each Key Duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and Experience. This position typically is not an entry-level job, as it requires demonstrable previous experience as a Quality Control Technician. A high school diploma or general education degree (GED) is preferred.
- One (1) or two (2) years of college or equivalent (e.g. trade school, specialized training).
- Must be able to understand work directions and communicate effectively with job site supervisors and fellow employees.
- Must have 3-5 years field and plant experience in testing and controlling the quality of asphalt pavement materials and construction aggregates.
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- Physical Demands. The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by a Quality Control Technician to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Constant physical effort, including standing, is required during a regular work shift of at least eight hours per day. Employee must be able to stand for extended periods of time, and to stoop, bend, and crouch as required to perform Key Duties.
- Frequently work with hands extended overhead, sometimes in conjunction with the operation of hand power tools.
- Ability to lift and carry, on a frequent basis, at least 50-90 pounds personally, and up to 150 pounds with assistance.
- Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities of the construction site, including the activities of other employees and contractors, the operation of stationary equipment, and the movement of mobile equipment.
- Frequently walk on uneven surfaces, including natural ground in varying weather conditions.
- Work Environment. The work environment characteristics described below are representative of those that a Quality Control Technician encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Work is performed outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Work environment periodically exposes the employees to high levels of noise, grease, and dust that is typically associated with a construction project.
- Employee regularly works near heavy equipment and moving machinery.
- Work may involve a variety of substances commonly found on construction sites such as form oil, grease, curing compounds, gasoline, diesel fuel and ready mixed concrete.
- Medical & Vision Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Voluntary Term Life
- Long Term Disability
- Sick Leave
- Paid Vacation & Holiday Pay
- 401(k) Plan
- Additional Benefits including wellness coaching, etc..
We promote a Drug-Free Workplace.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability are encouraged to apply.